Medical University of Gdańsk (MUG) is the largest medical university in northern Poland, located in one of the most beautiful cities in Europe with an old town and beautiful sandy beaches. MUG educates nearly 6000 undergraduate and postgraduate students at four Faculties: Faculty of Health Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, Faculty of Pharmacy and The Intercollegiate Faculty of Biotechnology. MUG offers various courses (Premedical Course, Pre-Health Course), Medicine Doctor Programme, Nursing Programme, Dietetics Programme and the Ph.D. Programmes, which are taught fully in English.
International students constitute almost 16% of MUG students and represent more than half of all international students in Gdańsk. Most of them came from Sweden, Norway, India, The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Canada, UK, USA, Iraq, Germany and Spain.
The MUG constantly modernizes its clinical and teaching facilities. In the end of 2011 the University Clinical Centre has been successfully modernized. Our main hospital – the MUG Invasive Medicine Centre is one of the most modern hospitals in Europe. New investment MUG Non-Invasive Medicine Centre started in September 2015. Together, this will be one of the largest and newest hospital complexes in Poland.
The dormitories are situated on campus, very close to the classroom buildings. The campus consists of 4 dormitories with space for 1000 students, the student club “Medyk”, a grocery shop and a photocopy shop. There is also a canteen, which offers meals at student-friendly prices. All the dormitories are connected to the Internet.
The scientific excellence of the MUG was confirmed in 2012 when the Polish Ministry of Science and Higher Education recognized the Faculty of Pharmacy with Subfaculty of Laboratory Medicine as one of 6 Leading National Research Centre (KNOW).
Akademia Lekarska (Physician’s Academy) was founded in Gdańsk on October 8th 1945. Its history relates to the centuries-long tradition of medicine in Gdańsk, practiced by surgeons associated in the Surgeon’s Guild since 1454 as well as the medical teaching and research conducted at the Academic Gymnasium (Atheneum Gedanense) founded in 1558.
Soon after World War II ended, Akademia Lekarska was founded in Gdańsk and in 1950 it was renamed to Akademia Medyczna (Medical Academy). Among the professors of the newly-established university, there were many exceptional Polish scholars from pre-war Polish academic centers such as the University of Stefan Batory in Vilnius, who resettled in Gdańsk after their cities were incorporated into the Soviet Union.
The Intercollegiate Faculty of Biotechnology was founded in 1993, a joint unit of the Medical University of Gdansk and the University of Gdańsk.
The Nursing Programme began at the Faculty of Medicine. This was the first step towards forming the Faculty of Health Sciences.
English Division of Faculty of Medicine was established.
The Faculty of Health Sciences with Subfaculty of Nursing was established.
The grand construction of the Clinical Hospital began.
The Medical Academy of Gdańsk was officially renamed to Medical University of Gdańsk. The new name confirmed ou University’s true rank and status.
The Faculty of Pharmacy with Subfaculty of Laboratory Medicine was formally recognized as a Leading National Research Centre (KNOW) for the years 2012-2017.
The cornerstone was set for the construction of the NonInvasive Medicine Centre.