Patrons and resources
The Medical University of Gdańsk Main Library is the largest medical library in the pomorskie region. Together with the MUG Faculty of Pharmacy Library, it is open to all patrons interested in medical literature. Over 4700 active patrons (from over 9200 registered patrons) use the Libraries’ resources and services.
Print resources (as of 1.1.2017)
- 234 930 books,
- 104 126 volumes of print journals,
- 104 014 pieces of special collection.
Electronic resources (as of 1.1.2017)
- 55 databases,
- over 24 000 e-journals,
- 39 269 e-books.
Multisearch EDS (Ebsco Discovery Service) allows simultaneous search of electronic and print resources, with access to full texts via Full Text Finder (Ebsco).
Our online catalogue (katalog.gumed.edu.pl) contains information about all new and incoming resources since 1992. Older resources can be searched via scanned card catalogue.
The catalogue makes it possible to:
Pomeranian Digital Library:
- browse the resources,
- reserve books to borrow (MUG Main Library resources only),
- extend the return dates of borrowed items,
- request items borrowed by other patrons,
- keep track of borrowed items and library fees.
Since 2009, the MUG Main Library is participating in the Pomeranian Digital Library project, funded with EU grant in 2009-2012.
Spacious interiors await our patrons, with 27 computer stations and 246 seats and:
- 2 reading rooms,
- Scientific Information Reading Room,
- 6 individual and group study rooms (18 seats total).
The latest medical literature is available on the shelves of the Study Area.
MUG students and staff may access wireless network eduroam on their own devices and and plug them into the outlets built into the tables in the reading rooms.
Self-service scanning (free of charge) and paid printing/copying are also available.
Services provided by our Library’s units:
- Lending Unit:
- lending of resources for use onsite,
- lending of resources for use offsite.
- Bibliography Department:
- updating the MUG Bibliography,
- bibliometric analyses,
- parametric assessment of MUG Departments,
- confirming doctors’ authorship of research articles.
- Interlibrary Lending Unit:
- searching and ordering from libraries abroad texts not available in the Tricity’s or Poland’s libraries,
- lending resources to other libraries in Poland and abroad.
- Scientific Information and Promotion Division:
- information services and promotion of Library’s resources,
- conducting training for various groups of patrons,
- organizing exhibitions and events.
In addition, via the Library’s website
- obtain a library card,
- access the Library’s electronic resources from work/home via proxy server,
- access the EBSCO databases (available for all healthcare staff in the Pomorskie province),
- complete online training on medical research,
- complete required courses in the form via e-learning platforms,
- send requests for purchasing new Library resources.
Library for the community
Part of the Library’s mission is to care for the MUG community and the cultural development of its students. That is why the MUG Main Library…
- organizes subject- and event-related exhibitions,
- takes part in the national Library Week (Tydzien Bibliotek),
- promotes medical sciences during the Medical Science Day and at the MUG Health Picnic,
- organizes book promotion and meetings with authors,
- publishes the newsletter „Librorum Amator”.
In 2010 the MUG Main Library was recognized for its achievements for Polish librarianship with the Bibliotheca Magna – Perennisque (Grand Library – Eternal) Medal.
The MUG Main Library is a two-time recipient of a Science Promotion Grant from the Minister of Science and Higher Education. The grant money was allocated for the completion of the following projects:
- expansion of the MUG Main Library online catalogue by retrospective processing of the collection (2016-2017),
- expansion of the MUG Main Library online catalogue by retrospective processing of the collection (2014).