Teaching at the Medical University of Gdańsk is enhanced by well-equipped facilities. The students of the Faculty of Medicine and the Faculty of Health Sciences attend elementary studies at the Collegium Biomedicum, situated at Dębinki Street and in other MUG units in the Tri-city. Practical clinical classes for MUG students take place at the Academic Clinical Centre and the Academic Maritime and Tropical Medicine Centre and other health-care institutions in the Tri-city.
One of the buildings of the Faculty of Pharmacy and Subfaculty of Laboratory Medicine
The largest highly specialized hospital – the Academic Clinical Centre of the MUG Hospital, is situated near Dębinki Street and Smoluchowskiego Street. Most of its buildings were erected between 1908 and 1927. The hospital’s facilities are regularly modernized and the clinics and institutes are supplied with modern diagnostic and therapeutic equipment. Located on Kliniczna Street, the Clinical Hospital is housed in the buildings of the obstetrics hospital founded in 1912 and it encompasses gynecology, maternity and urology units.
The MUG Invasive Medicine Centre - one of the most modern hospitals in Europe
In 2004, the Medical University of Gdańsk took over the Institute of Maritime and Tropical Medicine in Gdynia and set up the Academic Maritime and Tropical Medicine Centre, with 101 hospital beds. Thanks to this, we extended the teaching offer by including unique specializations such as: hyperbaric medicine, tropical medicine, paracytology or occupational medicine. There are five other academic clinics situated in the hospitals in Gdańsk.
In recent years, numerous construction investments have been completed and they have improved the teaching and research base. Among them are: the Department of Pediatrics, Hematology, Oncology and Endocrinology, the Department of Forensic Medicine and the Tri-city Experimental Animal Centre. In 2006 construction work was completed on the so-called “Old Anatomy” building at Al. Zwycięstwa. This facility is a modern teaching centre of the Medical University of Gdańsk with numerous seminar rooms. It also houses the Auditorium Primum, the elegant main lecture hall with 350 seats.
A building complex at Hallera Street constitutes the teaching facilities of the Faculty of Pharmacy. There are lecture halls, classrooms, seminar rooms, as well as the science base of the Faculty. In the vicinity of the research buildings, there are: the botanical garden, a glasshouse and a sports complex of the Department of Sports and Physical Education.
The students of the Intercollegiate Faculty of Biotechnology usually have classes in the university building situated at Abrahama Street in Gdańsk and in the Collegium Biomedicum on Dębinki Street. Launching the Tri-city’s Academic Animal Experiment Centre was an important venture for the Faculty, owing to the fact the centre offers the teaching and research facilities for MWB teams which belong to the Medical University of Gdańsk. It also constitutes a significant element of research infrastructure available to all of the Tri-city’s science units.
Important in the teaching process, is the regularly modernized Main Library, which amasses publications in the field of medicine, pharmacy, physics, psychology and so on. The Library’s collection contains the resources of the Main Library (situated at Dębinki Street), the Library of the Faculty of Pharmacy, the Library of the Interdepartmental Institute of Maritime and Tropical Medicine and the libraries of all the clinics and other institutes.