Scientists of the MUG in the PAS Scientific Committees
Seventeen specialists from the Medical University of Gdańsk became members of the Scientific Committees of the Polish Academy of Sciences (PAS) starting their term in 2024. Their members were selected through elections and by-elections, the last of which ended on 24th of November 2023. Representatives of the MUG are present in 10 out of 78 Committees functioning within the structures of the Polish Academy of Sciences. This group includes:
- Molecular Cell Biology Committee, which included Dr. Habil. Beata Szostakowska from the Division of Tropical Parasitology
- Public Health Committee, composed of: Dr. Habil. Łukasz Balwicki, Assoc. Prof., Head of the Division of Public Health & Social Medicine and Prof. Tomasz Zdrojewski, Head of the Division of Preventive Medicine & Education
- Committee for Therapy and Drug Sciences, composed of: Prof. Michał Markuszewski, Head of the Division of Biopharmacy and Pharmacokinetics and Prof. Jadwiga Renata Ochocka from the Department of Biology and Pharmaceutical Botany
- Clinical Sciences Committee, composed of: Prof. Miłosz Jaguszewski from the 1st Department of Cardiology, Dr. Habil. Tomasz Jastrzębski, Assoc. Prof. from the Division of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Prof. Bartosz Karaszewski, Head of the Department of Neurology and Prof. Krzysztof Kuziemski from the Division of Pulmonology
- Committee of Neurological Sciences, composed of: Prof. Bartosz Karaszewski, Head of the Department of Neurology, Prof. Maria Mazurkiewicz-Bełdzińska, Head of the Division of Developmental Neurology and Prof. Jarosław Sławek, Head of the Division of Neurological and Psychiatric Nursing
- Committee of Human Genetics and Molecular Pathology, which included Prof. Bartosz Wasąg, Head of the Department of Biology and Medical Genetics
- Committee on Analytical Chemistry, which included Prof. Michał Markuszewski, Head of the Division of Biopharmacy and Pharmacokinetics
- Committee on Neurobiology, which included Prof. Andrzej Szutowicz from the Division of Laboratory Medicine
- Committee for Immunology and Etiology of Human Infections, composed of: Prof. Ewa Bryl, Head of the Department of Physiopathology, Prof. Natalia Marek-Trzonkowska from the Division of Family Medicine, Prof. Piotr Trzonkowski, Head of the Department of Medical Immunology, Prof. Jacek Witkowski from the Division of Embryology.
Additionally, the Committee of Biotechnology included Prof. Ewa Łojkowska and Prof. Bogusław Szewczyk from the Intercollegiate Faculty of Biotechnology UG & MUG.
Scientific Committees operating in the Polish Academy of Sciences are 30-person units dealing with specific scientific disciplines in the area of their development, as well as the practical use of related discoveries and research. Their tasks include:
- considering important problems of the represented discipline or related scientific disciplines,
- organizing debates, discussions and scientific conferences, as well as disseminating their results,
- preparing opinions, assessments, expert opinions and scientific forecasts,
- cooperation in implementing and disseminating the results of scientific activities,
- preparing scientific studies jointly with other Committees.
More information is available at the Polish-language PAS website.
photos by Paweł Sudara/MUG, Sylwia Mierzewska/UCC, private archive and PAS